Sunday 9 September 2012

The not so bad news.

With three days to go before we set off for Angoulême I've called a halt on any more fettling on the Alvis apart from washing it. Mind you when I washed it last week I was in for a surprise; I took the rear offside wheel and the hub off only to be greeted by a pair of brake shoes which should last forever as they were being preserved in 90/140 rear axle oil.

I'd had this problem before (A tale of two halves) but this time I decided to try to find the breather holes in the back axle which I'd never been able to before. After much excavation I found two 1/8 inch holes either side of the diff, well they should have been holes but as they face in the direction of travel it's easy to see why they were blocked up - I wonder why Alvis didn't drill the holes in the back of the axle rather than the front?

Still all that took my mind off the Solex problem of having the correct 115 jet; my trusty Alvis Register supplier had sent me a rather rich boy-racer 120 jet but after a week of it not arriving I tried Plan B. BTW, it's still stuck in the sorting office somewhere.

Plan B was the Carburettor Hospital Ltd. The Chief Surgeon there supplies bits for Solex, Zenith, Stromberg, S.U. and loads of others. When I asked Eric how many Solex jets they had in stock he said they'd had 5,000 made!

After asking what size jet I needed, which model and the length of the jet these were then made for me - he reams them out. Fortunately this package managed to avoid the overtime ban they've got at Brighton sorting office and the car is back on the road. It spits a bit but charges up hill (well, everything is relative)

So after a 10 mile trip this morning along the seafront and watching the beginning of the Ace Cafe Reunion it was time for home and some Marmite sausages - now I'm in the holiday mood!

And lastly a photo from the Rodmell Summer Festival where it apparently never rains and the Alvis always wins the “You don’t see many of these nowcategory...to which my Humber owning friend will say "...and there's a very good reason for that"


No comments:

Post a Comment