Thursday 7 June 2012

Fish # 1,763, the one that got away?

June 7. Day off, so we didn't have to do anything.

It was my turn to want to do a bit of retail therapy as I'd been wanting to buy a Harris Tweed jacket for ages...well about 50 years since the last one.

I'd earmarked a few places in Pitlochry and Toni was quite happy to accompany me to the shops....

To cut a long story short I didn't buy anything but we did find a fish ladder. This is not the sort of thing you find on the River Thames where I grew up but it is essential if one wants to allow the salmon to keep spawning.


The ladder is simply a series of little locks with a permanent hole at the bottom of each one where the fish can swim up about 20 centimetres each time. The whole thing is rather interesting as there's a visitor centre with a glass window through which you can watch the fish swim up the ladder.

When we got there we found that 1,760 fish had been for a climb this year, according to their fish-counter - this seemed as exciting as paint etc, so we went inside the visitor centre and saw their very good exhibition only to see when we exited that two fish had gone up the ladder without us seeing.

However we were lucky enough to see Fish Number 1,763 being helped on his way by some keepers.

To cross the river we had to use the Glas Sandeman footbridge - I'm not sure if I'm related but it was some sort of religious sect.



And then we saw this little gem for sale...a Citroen 2CV Hoffman.









No comments:

Post a Comment